Mr. Derek Schorsch
Derek Schorsch, M.S. - Psychology
• MS – Psychology - University of Idaho – ‘05
• BA – Spanish – University of Idaho – ‘03
• BS – Psychology - University of Idaho – ‘02
• Fall 2014 – present
o Tenured Professor, Valencia College East Campus
• Fall 2011 – Spring 2014
o Professor, tenure track, Valencia College East Campus
• Fall 2008 – Summer 2011
o Instructor, Valencia College West Campus
• Spring 2006 – Summer 2008
o Psychosocial Rehabilitation Specialist, Opportunities Unlimited, Moscow, Idaho
• I teach General Psychology and Developmental Psychology. I teach these classes face-to-face, in Online and in Hybrid formats
• I am also the coordinator of the Psychology Speakers Forum for the East Campus.
- As of August '21, I am serving as Dept. Chair.
I moved to Florida from Idaho in '08. I taught at the West Campus for three years before getting the tenure track job on East Campus. I have two young, rambunctious kids. : )
Personally, I engage in a number of pursuits that would baffle my 22 year old self, including build things out of wood and brick and curating butterfly gardens. I’ve also taken up running – mostly off-road, trail, and mud runs. The hardest of these was a 24 hour race/event literally called World's Toughest Mudder, and the easiest was a 5k while wearing a fake beard.
My students note that I say “This is my favorite chapter” essentially every week in class, but I promise that I really mean it every time. Truly, my interests lie in the social and cognitive psychology areas. I think it is important to teach Psychology as a science, and to help students to develop scientific understanding and critical thinking skills. Accordingly, I belong to several different critical thinking and skeptical groups.